I was assisting a Tibetan user with an issue typing Sanskrit stacks today.  We were both reading the documentation for the keyboard and both running into the same problem — we just could not get the stacks to form.  We were both running in Vista so I knew that the problem was not rendering.

We both tried to type pad<space><space>+ma<space>, which according to the documentation, as we read it, should give us པདྨ but was instead giving us པད+མ་.

So I did a little research.  I took the source file for the keyboard and searched for a couple of the stacked characters — in this case, I searched for the Unicode character Tibetan subjoined ma (U+0FA8).  As soon as I found it in the source, I understood the problem.  The source line read:

"+m" + " " > U+0FA8

We needed to type just +m, not +ma.

Now when I go back to the documentation and read it again, it seems obvious enough.  But it clearly isn't, because three different people have read the same instructions and made the same mistake.

Now I have a new item on my list: clarify the stacking instructions in the Tibetan EWTS keyboard!

Categories: Uncategorized

1 thought on “Tibetan EWTS keyboard and Sanskrit stacks (or why clear documentation is essential)”

sfauthor · November 11, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Nice posting. Do you know about these Sanskrit books?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related Posts


Keyman 17.0 is now available in beta

We are excited to announce that Keyman 17.0 is officially in beta. You can download Keyman 17.0 beta on Keyman downloads website. You are welcome to send us any feedback for Keyman 17.0 on Keyman Read more…


The Keyman Intern Project

Several members of the Keyman team work out of the National Polytechnic Institute of Cambodia (NPIC), វិទ្យាស្ថានជាតិពហុបច្ចេកទេសកម្ពុជា, in Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia. One of the things the Keyman team tries to do is Read more…


Keyman 16.0 now available!

We are pleased to announce that we have now released Keyman 16.0! You can download Keyman 16.0 on the Keyman downloads website. In version 16.0, we have a few new features, but our focus has Read more…